With feed security underwritten by a regular daily supply of fresh barley sprouts, Sheep farmer Raymond Kneip is planning to change his enterprise mix to breed more lambs for feedlot finishing on their property.
Since he invested in the 340 kilo-a-day capacity sprouting unit from Fodder Solutions in October 2010 (as an upgrade from the old system he had since 2007) he hasn’t looked back and already expansion plans are on the drawing board.
"With my feed supply guaranteed regardless of the season there is no risk of having to sell store lambs if the season turns bad" said Ray
Ray has been able to decrease his input costs while increasing his output.
In feeding this new ration Ray has been able to set up a 120 head feed lot that turns out prime lambs every three months with weight gains around 2kg/head/week
Sheep producers Raymond and Brenda Kneipp have taken the seasonal gamble out of their farming enterprise by installing a grain sprouting unit from Fodderm Solutions, represented in WA by FeedFreedom.com
feedfreedom.com systems are great for feeding sheep, goats, pigs, alpacas and lamas. The low acid content of the barley sprouts makes the use of barley sprouts totally safe for all types of stock.
• Exceptional growth rates
• Increased milk production
• Improvement in general appearance and fleece characteristics
• Better quality meat, colour and texture reported from butchers
• high protein and energy supplied from a small quantity of grain
• Increased hydration in flocks, less loss due to heat stress
• High digestible fibre, which is digested into volatile fatty acids & readily absorbed into the bloodstream
• supplies of good levels of essential amino acids and vitamins which encourages early breeding
• High digestibility of around 95% - due to the fact that when grains are sprouted starch is converted into simple sugars, (primarily Maltose and Dextrins). These sugars are easier to digest and take the pressure off the animals digestive system, increasing the net available energy for the animal.
• reduced pressure of young stock placed on mothers, as they are able to eat and digest the sprouts from as young a 7 days old - resulting in healthier ewes with more milk and larger stock at foot.
• Reduced feed wastage to work out which FeedFreedom live green feed growing system is for you...click here
More Benefits of Feeding Fodder Solutions Sprouts:
The amount of feed for sheep is determined by the breed, age, season, and size. The advantage of utilising a feedfreedom.com system is it will produce according to your stocks needs. Most breeds will consume around 2% of their body weight in barley sprouts, if energy load is higher, pregnant, lactating and fattening, feed rates can be increased to suit.
Preparing rams, ewes or fat lambs for sale or just holding your stock alive during drought. It is amazing how a small amount of sprouts are required to make a difference, compared to the nutritional value of other feed stuffs.
Using the sprouts as the primary energy and protein feed for your stock removes the dependence for expensive processed feed & prime lucerne hay. You are able to utilise grassy hay or even straw for roughage while feeding the sprouts due to their high digestibility.
This may help you work out which feedfreedom system is for you, click here